Industrial Accident Attorney in Houston
Our Houston Industrial Accident Law Firm Can Help You!
Every year, hundreds of thousands of U.S. workers are injured or become ill due to workplace accidents or unsafe conditions.
Annual data from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reveal that industrial accidents are among the most common types of workplace accidents in Texas: There were 183,400 reported cases of nonfatal injury or illness in 2017, with manufacturing, warehousing, and mining at the top of the list. In sum, 103,100 of these cases led to time off work, a job transfer, or work restriction for the injured employee.
Entire households are affected when a family member is hurt in an industrial accident. Depending on the circumstances of your case, Texas law may allow you to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits and/or a personal injury claim to provide financial relief for the losses you have suffered.
Respected Houston industrial accident attorney Andrew Seerden has extensive experience and skills helping victims recover fair compensation for their losses. He is certified in personal injury trial law, an honor bestowed by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization upon just 2 percent of lawyers in the state. Please contact The Seerden Law Firm, PLLC, to set up a free case assessment today, and let us fight for you.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After an Industrial Accident
After a serious industrial accident, there are some steps you can take to protect your right to compensation through workers’ compensation benefits or a personal injury lawsuit:
- Stop working immediately, as continuing to work could cause more extensive injuries.
- Seek medical attention right away, both for your health and to support the assertion that your injuries are serious.
- Notify your employer about the industrial accident as soon as possible. Texas law requires you to make a report within 30 days after the incident.
- Take note of the names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- If you can, take photos of the scene of the accident and your injuries.
- Consult with a Houston industrial accidents lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your rights.
Why You Need an Attorney After an Industrial Accident
Texas law does not require you to retain representation when seeking to enforce your rights as the victim of an industrial accident. Still, having a knowledgeable lawyer on your side is essential to ensuring protection of your legal rights. An attorney can help you navigate potential remedies after an industrial accident, which may include:
- Filing a Texas workers’ compensation claim: Texas does not make workers’ compensation insurance mandatory for employers, but many companies do carry coverage to protect their employees. If your employer does have a policy, filing a claim through the Texas Department of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) may be your sole remedy. You must complete the proper forms and include numerous supporting documents to prove that you are entitled to benefits. The process can be complicated, and mistakes affect your rights.
- Assistance with insurance company discussions: After the DWC receives your claim, it will forward the information to your employer and workers’ comp insurance company. Though the coverage is intended to protect you as an employee, an insurer may find reasons to deny your claim or pay out lower benefits. Industrial accidents lawyers develop smart strategies to combat insurance company delay tactics.
- Additional options under Texas law: Though workers’ comp is the exclusive remedy for many industrial accidents, some injured employees may be eligible for additional legal remedies through civil litigation. There are exceptions that may allow you to file a lawsuit in civil court to recover compensation for your losses, such as:
- Your employer does not carry workers’ compensation insurance.
- A third party is responsible for causing the industrial accident.
- Your injuries were caused by a defective product that contributed to the industrial accident.
Schedule a free consultation with our experienced industrial accident attorney in Houston to discuss the specifics of your case.
Compensation After an Industrial Accident
If you are an eligible employee who suffers a workplace injury due to an industrial accident, you may qualify for such workers’ compensation benefits as:
- Costs of medical treatment: You may be entitled to all expenses related to treatment of your injuries or illness, so long as they are a direct result of the industrial accident and are reasonably necessary for your care.
- Income benefits: When industrial accident injuries prevent you from being able to work, you may be eligible for income benefits. These funds can provide financial support until you return to your job, and they could even be permanent for extremely severe injuries or impairment.
- Benefits as a surviving family member: If a loved one died in an industrial accident, certain family members can file a workers’ compensation claim for death benefits. The amount you can receive depends on your relationship, the total number of beneficiaries, and many other factors. In addition, you can receive reimbursement for burial and funeral costs.
Seeking Compensation in an Industrial Accident Lawsuit
Victims who are eligible to file a civil lawsuit can recover various forms of compensation for their losses, including:
- Medical costs and future treatment expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Talk to an industrial accident lawyer in Houston today to learn what compensation you may be entitled to receive.
Common Types of Industrial Accidents
A workplace accident can happen in any industry, at any time, through no fault of your own. However, there are some types of industrial accidents that are more frequent than others, such as:
- Slips and trips
- Falls from a height
- Getting caught in machinery or struck by industrial equipment
- Truck, forklift, and other industrial vehicle accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Exposure to hazardous substances
- Repetitive stress injuries and overexertion
Discuss Your Claim with an Experienced Texas Industrial Accidents Attorney
If you were injured in an industrial accident, it is important to consult with a skilled lawyer right away. Your employer and its insurance company do not necessarily have your best interests in mind. They often present hurdles to getting the benefits you may be entitled to receive after filing a valid claim.
An industrial accidents attorney will protect your interests in dealings with adverse parties and explain your options if there are other legal remedies available.
For more information, please contact The Seerden Law Firm, PLLC, in Houston, TX. You can meet personally with Andrew Seerden in a free consultation, where he will evaluate your circumstances and explain how the law applies to your case.